Mini Front Page Pro

It would be useful if a category has a tag applied to it, the module treated all the articles in the category as if they each had that tag applied. Is that something you could consider adding to the next version? Or is it something that is already possible but that I have not understood?

thanks
1 year 6 months ago #1 by david ascher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posted by TemplatePlazza (5195) Offline
Hi, Can you tell me what you trying to achieve? The module has already tag filter for the articles, and also if you want to group the categories, you can simply select multiply categories for that, isn't it?
1 year 6 months ago #2 by TemplatePlazza

I want all the articles form either of two categories included in the listing. I have a third category in which I want only those articles with tag 'xxx' included. at this point, I have to apply the "xxxx" tag to any article in any category and configure the module so it will include either articles from any category WITH the tag or just from the three categories AND with the tag.

What I'm proposing is that if a category has the 'xxx' tag, then the module will automatically include the articles in that category.

tp ve you a slightly more concrete example, I have categories A, B, and C. I have applied the tag 'xxx' to category A and B. I want all of the articles in categories A and B included and only those (few) articles in category C that have the "xxx" tag applied to them.

Currently, I have to ensure that each individual article in categories A and B ALSO have the tag "xxx" applied and that the articles I want included from category C are tagged with "xxx". If I specify that articles and cat A and cat B should be included, and I specify the presence of the "xxx" tag, then I will get ONLY those articles in cat A or cat B WITH the 'xxx' tag - so I need to both add cat C to the included list AND I have to ensure that all the articles have the 'xxx' tag applied in each of cat A and cat B and the few articles in cat C have the tag applied as well.

What I am proposing is that an article will be included if it is in a category that has been tagged with "xxx" (as if the individual article was tagged with "xxx") and the few articles in cat C will have been explicitly tagged with "xxx" and be included.

I am not sure I see any purpose for categories to be tagged unless modules like mini front page and others, start acting in this way - i.e. that a tag applied to the category results in the same behavior as if each of the articles were individually tagged with the same tag(s). Think of it as an "inheritance" situation.

An alternative might be to allow inclusion of all articles from a category (regardless of whether or not they have a specific tag) AND inclusion of articles from any other category that have been assigned a specified tag. That would, of course, allow articles from all categories where the article has the specified tag, when the tag might actually be used to indicate different things when assigned to articles in different categories - which might be undesirable in some cases. That also opens the possibility of cases where an article is included only if it has been assigned tags "xxx" AND "yyy" OR if it has been assigned "xxx" OR "yyy" OR if it has been assigned tags "xxx" AND "yyy" OR tag "aaa" or tag "aaa" AND "bbb". That looks like it can become a pretty complex pretty quickly.
1 year 6 months ago #3 by david ascher

• Posted by TemplatePlazza (5195) Offline
Hi, What you are trying to achieve seems to be very specific and not a common use, especially for the certain treatments for certain selected categories. It is something that too complex to be added, sorry about that.
1 year 6 months ago #4 by TemplatePlazza

I think I got carried away describing what I would like to see. As far as my immediate needs I would simply like to have the option to have all of the articles within any category that has a tag or tags applied to it ()the cateory ) treated by the module as if each of the articles in that category has that tag applied to it. As the module currently works, if you specify a category and a tag, then only the articles in the specified category (or categories) that have had the tag applied (individually, manually) will be selected. This small change would allow a set of existing articles within a category and all new articles in that category to inherit the tag(s) from the category they are in.

It seems to me that this would be the entire purpose of applying a tag to a CATEGORY. Perhaps, I am missing something, but the logic to implement this does not seem to be particularly complex at all. I am pretty sure I could implement it in an override in less than an hour - and my SQL skills are pretty rusty. If you are still skeptical, I am confident I can create the override and share the code with you so you can integrate it into the product.

I'm afraid that my description of what I want to do got into the weeds as I fell into the trap of attempting to generalize this kind of things far beyond my needs and probably beyond the needs of all but a very small number of site developers. Forget about that and just stick to the idea that if a CATEGORY has a tag applied to it, the ARTICLES in the category should be treated as if they INHERIT the tag.
1 year 6 months ago #5 by david ascher