Mini Frontpage, where php code is that writes "read more" link

This is a pretty simple question for someone who knows this code inside out.

My situation is on different pages I have different layouts. The way that Mini Frontpage desides what layout to use for when it displays article is whatever page you are coming from. So if you have sidebars on one page and you have Mini Frontpage at bottom, it will display those sidebars along with your article. If you have a page with Mini Frontpage with no sidebars and you click on it, then when the article is displayed it will also have no sidebars.

What I would like is a consitancy of layout, no matter the page I'm coming from. There is a very simple way to accomplish this. Basically instead of just tacking the /#-category/#-article on the url. Whatever page layout you want for your articles you would have that as part of your URL string.

Say you have an About page, a Home page, a Contact page.

You like the layout of your About page and would like that layout as the one that is used when someone clicks the article in Mini Frontpage. Let's say you were on the Home page, which in most cases is going to be a url of something like www.yourdomain.com. So your link to your About page is going to be www.yourdomain.com/index.php/about or something like that. Instead of when you click your article on Home page and it tack /#-category/#-article on end. I want it to put /#-category/#-article at the end of www.yourdomain.com/index.php/about so that it will always use the layout from the About page as it's layout.

I'm sure that some of you are going to have no clue what I'm talking about and it is going to sound pretty crazy. Someone who is familar with the coding off this module will know exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyway, TIA for whoever can help me find the code in the php file that writes the URL link from the articles in Mini Frontpage. From looking, it looks like you have some globals that I'll prob have to deal with as well. Just point me to the line that writes out that link and I can take care of rest....

Thanks!!!!
11 years 10 months ago #1 by slippyC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello slippyC,

You can try to create the menu item for each category and then you can assign or not assign it in your module Parameter

Did you try it?

Thanks
11 years 10 months ago #2 by ronysyz

Actually that sounds like a great idea!!!

Hadn't tried it, but will and post back....

Thanks, let ya know in a bit
11 years 10 months ago #3 by slippyC

Alright, here is what I did.

I made another menu. I didn't choose a position for that menu.

I added a new menu-item and chose single-article and linked it to one of the Featured that I was displaying in Mini Frontpage.

Went over to the module I was using as sidebar and chose that as one of the pages that it would display in.

Waalaa...

It is working with a layout that I can customize!!!

Thanks a bunch for that workaround!
11 years 10 months ago #4 by slippyC

Now that I think about it more, I think this is not neccessarily a problem with this module. It seems like more of a problem with how joomla treats articles that are not tied to menus.

Since you can't assign modules to pages that aren't linked to menu's or so it seems.

Either way, this works! I don't have to hack around with this module and it will be easy to export and import without worrying about having the module customized.
11 years 10 months ago #5 by slippyC

Congratulations

I'm happy to know your success :D
11 years 10 months ago #6 by ronysyz