Error 500 after installing Related Articles with PHP 8

Hi, I have a website that currently uses PHP 7.4. We are now preparing an update to PHP 8. With the new plugin version 2.4.0 of Related Articles and PHP 8 all pages that use the plugin give back a 500 Server error. What might be the problem / can you have a look at the site?
Regards
1 year 2 months ago #1 by Karsten

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Posted by TemplatePlazza (5184) Offline
Hi Karsten, is it possible for you to provide us a temporary admin access? It it’s possible, please send it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1 year 2 months ago #2 by TemplatePlazza

Hi, I will prepare access for you and send you a mail when it's ready. Thank you!
1 year 2 months ago #3 by Karsten

Hi Karsten, Thanks for the access. Btw I'm unable to replicate the error 500. Lookslike the module is working properly, except the thumbnail. Can you tell me steps to replicate the issue? 
1 year 2 months ago #4 by TemplatePlazza
Attachments:

Ok, interestingly the error no longer occurs, great! Did you change anything?
But I am missing many of the plugin settings of the previous version, for example:
Order by. This is important, because I can see that oftentimes very old articles are linked. On my live website I have chosen the option "recently created first".
Regarding the missing thumbnails: On my live website the thumbnails are located in the directory /images/relateditemsxtd/. With the new module it's /images/thumbnails/mod_relateditems_xtd/. Can this be the reason why the thumbnails are not displayed? What can we do?

1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #5 by Karsten
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Karsten.

Hi Karsten,

Ok, interestingly the error no longer occurs, great! Did you change anything?

No I didn't change anything.

But I am missing many of the plugin settings of the previous version, for example: Order by. This is important, because I can see that oftentimes very old articles are linked. On my live website I have chosen the option "recently created first".

The modules logic follows the default joomla related articles and similar tag actually, to display most related items. To avoid old items to be displayed in related items xtd you can use the Time Range settings.

On my live website the thumbnails are located in the directory /images/relateditemsxtd/. With the new module it's /images/thumbnails/mod_relateditems_xtd/. Can this be the reason why the thumbnails are not displayed? What can we do?

This may be the cause of the error, so the module can't found the target folder when creating thumbnails. It should be created automatically when you install the module but maybe there's an issue when creating it. You can try to create the folder /images/thumbnails/mod_relateditems_xtd/ manually 
1 year 2 months ago #6 by TemplatePlazza
Attachments: